3.8.07

Man U, Get Ready!!


MICHAEL ESSIEN aims to put a rocket up Fergie on Sunday — by scoring with a scorcher.The Chelsea midfield star is vowing to explode more long-range stunners like the one which rocked Arsenal at Stamford Bridge last December.That swerving 25-yard cracker smashed in with the outside of his right foot was voted the club’s Goal of the Season.And there would be no better time for a repeat than in the Wembley Community Shield clash with Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United.Essien said: “The goal against Arsenal is the best in my career. To score against one of our rivals from that position and at that time of the game is something special that I will never forget in my life.“But I think I can score better goals than that. Once I keep believing in myself, I can score beautiful goals.“Personally, it was a fantastic season for me and I was very happy with my output for Chelsea.“It was not easy for me and my team-mates and we have to be happy that, after a difficult campaign, we managed to grab two trophies.“Hopefully, next year we can all do even better.“Although we finished behind Manchester United in the league, I think they deserved their title. They put up a great fight from the start to the end of the season.“As Chelsea, we can’t win all the time. We won two trophies in the end and I think we were OK with our season. But we’ll try our best to win back the title.”Chelsea splashed £24million-plus to land Ghanaian Essien from Lyon two years ago. Despite a slow start to his Stamford Bridge career, the versatile24-year-old proved last season he was worth every penny — often starring as a makeshift defender rather than in midfield.He added: “Playing in defence was not something new for me. I was once a centre-back and I played a lot of positions before I moved to Europe.“That is why I am comfortable to play in any position my team requires of me.“I am a passionate player. I have to give 100 per cent every time. Nothing less will do. But I don’t think I’ve reached my limit yet.”Essien and Andriy Shevchenko have both given boss Jose Mourinho a massive boost ahead of Sunday’s Wembley date.Shevchenko trained for the first time yesterday since picking up a back injury in Chelsea’s pre-season tour of America.And Essien had recovered sufficiently from a calf strain to join in the session.PSV Eindhoven defender Alex has now been granted a work permit by the Home Office, after earlier delays held up his move here from Holland.The Brazil international still has to agree personal terms with Chelsea and have a medical
Source:.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ghana is back on track with investment opportunities - Veep woos foreign investors

Accra, June 6, GNA-Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia says Ghana's economic opportunities for private sector investors are back on track as...