Four killed in renewed violence in Bawku

Four people have so far been killed and more than 12 houses burnt in the Bawku Municipality since violence erupted in the area on Sunday night.

The Security Personnel have arrested 32 people in connection with the conflict and confiscated five guns and ammunition, Mr Ofosu-Mensah Gyeabour, Upper East Regional Police Commander, told the Ghana News Agency in Bawku.

He said security personnel had intensified surveillance and the situation had been brought under control as at 1400 hours on Monday. The Police Commander said the Security Personnel were doing their best to bring calm to the area.

Mr Daniel Nar-ire, Deputy Coordinating Director of the Bawku Municipal Assembly, told the GNA that the violence started on Sunday night at about 1900 hours when some people attacked worshippers at a mosque.

He said the Security Personnel could not cover the entire place at the same time and people at suburbs that were not covered at a particular time continued to fight until the security brought the situation under control but this lasted just for a while and resumed again immediately the security personnel moved to other areas.

"However, the security has been reinforced with personnel from Tamale and there is hope that they would calm down the situation by afternoon," he said.

Today Monday, is Bawku market day but there would be no market for the people.

Meanwhile, the Interior Minister Kwamena Bartels said the Government was imposing a 22-hour curfew on Bawku Municipality, Zabzugu, Binduri, Pusiga, Zoosi and their environs with new curfew hours, from 0900 hours on Monday until 0700 hours on Tuesday. Mr Bartels reminded the public that the ban on all persons in the Bawku Municipal Area, Zabugu, Binduri, Pusiga, Zoosi and Garu Townships and their environs from carrying arms, ammunitions or any offensive weapon still remained in force, and any person found with any arms or ammunition would be arrested and prosecuted. He said a number of vehicles had been burnt in the fighting that started on Sunday when a Kusasi Opinion Leader was shot after prayers. The Kusasi Opinion Leader died while being transferred to the Bolgatanga Hospital.

Mr Bartels said reinforcements of security personnel were being sent immediately to control the situation.

The Government a week ago eased the curfew imposed on the Bawku Municipality and its environs from 2200 hours to 0400 hours to 2400 hours to 0400 hours, citing continued peace and stability in the area. It also commended the chiefs, elders, opinion leaders and all stakeholders in the Bawku Municipality and its environs for "the improved security situation in the area".

The Government again appealed to all the factions to help to consolidate the peace by exercising maximum restraint and tolerance and to partner the Government to bring permanent peace to the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment